The Business and Technology program at Garden Valley Collegiate is essential for every student, whether you are planning to pursue a career in business or not. As a member of society, you will participate in the economic system and therefore you will need to be literate in business and economics. You are also entitled to learn how the system functions and the impact of your role in that system. Needless to say, if you are interested in successfully completing a University and/or College program, in any business discipline area, then you should be enrolling in a variety of Business and Technology courses while attending high school.
Through the Business and Technology courses, you will:
- Develop business and technological skills that are applicable and relevant in both academic and personal life.
- Work collaboratively, demonstrating effective problem solving along with critical and innovative thinking, to become a life long learner.
- Graduate with the leadership skills and a knowledge base that will better prepare them to fulfill their role as an informed consumer, efficient worker, and independent citizen in this fast-changing global economic and information age.
In addition to receiving a high school diploma, you have the option to graduate with a GVC Technical Diploma with a Business Education Major. To complete this additional diploma, you must:
- Acquire at least 30 credits.
- Complete all the GVC compulsory courses.
- Complete eight approved Business and Technology credits.
- Complete five Grade 12 credits, which include one required English credit plus one Math credit.
- Participate in a Grad Status interview with a Student Services Counselor.
This year, the following courses are being offered:
- Information and Communication Technology (IC115F/IC215F)
- Intro to Business - Futures in Business/Start Your Own Business (FIB15G/SYB25G)
- Business Office Skills - Print Communications and Spreadsheets (PRC25S/SPR35S)
- Accounting Principles (ACC30S)
- Digital Publishing – Digital Pictures and Desktop Publishing (DPB30S)
- Accounting Systems (ACC40S)
- Digital Publishing (ADP40S)
- Law (Law40S)
It is of great interest to me, that all of you understand the importance of Business and Technology education, and develop an interest to become more knowledgeable in the subject. I look forward to working with all of you. Welcome to my classroom!